Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cooking Nasi Briyani

It's my first try..
Consider edible, success...

I bought this vegetarian recipe book months ago and suddenly thought of cooking one of the dish in it since, I'm on sem break..

Went to Jelutong Market to buy some ingredients..


So there are some differences between the ingredient I bought and those in the recipe book..
Since the book is published in London, there are lots of western herbs such as bay leaf or dill..
So I improvise by not putting them since I cant fine them in the market..
Not just that, it's also fairly expensive..
Why? Cause the other herb which I didn't mention was Saffron..
The most expensive herb in the world??

Enough that, lets get cooking..
I'm gonna teach you how to cook nasi briyani Yein's style, since I alter a little of the original recipe.. ^^,

Basmati Rice w/ Vegetables & Nuts
Nasi Briyani Yein's style..

Green is the original recipe and yellow is my improvise version.

1. Put the Basmati rice (4oog) into a sieve & rinse thoroughly with cold water. Transfer to a bowl, cover with water & leave to swell for 20mins. Then drain in a sieve.
> I just use normal rice, did the same.

2. Put saffron into a dish & add 45ml of boiling water. Peel carrots (155g) & slice in angle. Wash & drain cauliflower (250g) & divide into florets. Peel & thinly slice onions (1 unit). Halve the corncobs (6 units)
> No saffron, I use 1 medium carrot, half a normal size cauliflower and same amount of onion & corncobs (baby corn).

3. Heat ghee (90ml) in a pan, add onions, cinnamon (2 sticks), green cardamom pods (4 units), cloves (3 units) & bay leaves (2 leaves) and saute over a medium heat for 2 minutes.
> I use cooking oil. I did not use a pan, instead I just use the rice cooker. Switch it on, press cook, wait for it to get hot, add oil and saute all above ingredients (except bay leaf)..

4 Wash dry & chop raisins (1 tbsp). Add rice, raisins & carrots and saute for another 3 minutes. Add saffron, cashew kernels (3tbsp), almonds (3tbsp), salt & sugar and mix well.
> I box of ready-to-eat raisins, just pour 1 box in. No saffron. Others the same.

5. Add 800ml of water and bring to boil. Turn the heat to lowest & let it cook for 10 minutes. Then stir cauliflower, frozen peas (185g) and baby corncobs, put lid on and cook very gently for another 10 minutes or until rice is soft and all liquid absorbed. Sprinkle with chopped mint or fresh dill.
> I add 2 cups (500ml) of water and let the rice cooker do the rest. When the rice is half cook (when half the water is absorbed) add in the vegetables and stir. I use canned peas instead of frozen ones (1 small can) and also 1 can of button mushroom. After putting in the veges, just wait til the rice is ready.

The above is the recipe book's illustration


Have a try and tell me how is it ya!
Comment!!

7 comments:

Joanne said...

so how is it taste? nice??

Yein said...

Jz normal lo.. Haha..

黑妹 said...

erm...when u want lo let us try??wahaha....the pic look like yummy...

Yein said...

When it's more successful..
More tasty..

Anonymous said...

i think u forgot to put saffron ... that is why no color ... but seems nice ... samantha vima james

Joanne said...

ok...u say wan ar...we r waiting for u to cook for us... :)

Yein said...

Samantha - Not forget to put, dowan to put.. It's expansive lo...